The closures will affect I-59 at the Louisiana state line and Interstate 10 in Hancock County. If these closures should occur, congestion will be a major issue in the affected areas. To prepare, commercial traffic and the traveling public should plan alternate routes now.
DOTD and MDOT crews are on site with traffic control and message boards in the affected areas.
Motorists can find the latest road conditions at www.511la.org or by dialing 511 from their telephone. Out-of-state travelers can call 1-888-ROAD-511 (1-888-762-3511). Motorists should follow these driving safety tips:
• Obey barricades and high-water signs.
• Avoid using cruise control when visibility is low or road surfaces are wet.
• Allow for extra driving time.
• Reduce speeds when visibility is low.
• Make sure there is plenty of room between vehicles.
• Avoid driving into standing or running water.