Sacred Faith: January 11, 2014: Religion has been a major part of Natchitoches since it became a settlement. Events in January include walking tours of the historic churches and exhibits of early wedding and christening gowns important to the period, as well as an exhibit dedicated to Bishop Martin, the first bishop of the Natchitoches Diocese. Also in January, we celebrate the 246th birthday of Grandpère Augustine Metoyer, the patriarch of the Cane River Creole community.
9 a.m. – 5 p.m. The Beginning of the Catholic Church in the Natchitoches Colony – Learn more about the Catholic Church in the early settlement of Natchitoches. Fort St. Jean Baptiste State Historical Site, 155 Jefferson Street
10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Sacrament & Vows Sacred Faith Exhibition – An exhibit of antique Natchitoches Wedding & Christening gowns. Soldini House, 240 Jefferson St. & Lemee House, 508 Jefferson Street
12 – 3 p.m. Church Tours – Trinity Episcopal Church -533 Second Street Minor Basilica of the Immaculate Conception Church – 145 Church Street. Anniversary Mass honoring the dedication of the Minor Basilica at 10 a.m.
2 – 7 p.m. A Tri-Centennial Birthday Celebration for “Grandpere” Nicolas Augustin Metoyer. Enjoy tours, exhibits, reenactment & dance. Free/Open to the Public. St. Augustine Catholic Church, 2262 Hwy 484, Natchez
January 22, 2013 at 6 p.m: A Tribute to Clementine Hunter – A ceremony reflecting the international success of the Natchitoches folk artist. At the LA Sports Hall of Fame & Northwest LA History Museum, 800 Front Street, Free
All Tri-Centennial events are open to the public, and most events are free. Over a-hundred Tri-Centennial commemorative events are planned in Natchitoches, Louisiana throughout 2014. For a complete list visit www.Natchitoches300.com or call 1-800-259-1714. Like us at Natchitoches Tri-Centennial Celebration Facebook page to be eligible for exciting giveaways including all-expense paid trips to select events.
About Natchitoches: Natchitoches is the oldest permanent settlement in the Louisiana Purchase territory established in 1714 by French soldier Louis Juchereau de St. Denis.