BATON ROUGE, La. – The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD) announces that it will continue to monitor the flood-impacted areas for water on the roads and quickly remove debris from roadways and state right-of-way to help our communities get back on track.
Here is an updated list of interstate flood closures in South Louisiana:
• I-10 East and West is closed between US 165 and I-49
- I-10 westbound on-ramps between I-49 (Lafayette) and La. 1111 (Crowley) are closed to traffic. Local traffic is encouraged to utilize U.S. 90 between the Evangeline Thruway and Crowley.
- I-10 westbound is open beginning at Jennings (La. 26)
- Local traffic can access I-10 eastbound between Iowa (U.S. 165) and Jennings (La. 26)
Travelers can find information regarding road closures by visiting www.511la.org or by dialing 511 from their telephone and saying the route or region where they are seeking information. Out-of-state travelers can access the system by calling 1-888-ROAD-511 (1-888-762-3511).
Motorists are urged to refrain from travel unless absolutely necessary. During unfavorable weather conditions, motorists should drive using the following safety tips:
• Drive slowly and carefully.
• Avoid driving into standing or running water.
• Avoid driving while distracted.
• Avoid using cruise control when visibility is low or road surfaces are wet.
• Always allow for extra driving time.
• Make sure there is plenty of room between vehicles.
• Have your headlights on when using windshield wipers
Currently, more than 100 state roads are closed due to high water.