Alexandria, La – In celebration of the area’s outdoor adventures, a group of community event planners has formed the Central Louisiana Outdoor Adventure Festival. This month-long series of events during the month of March highlight the numerous outdoor activities and adventures throughout Rapides Parish.
The idea was formed as an effort to capitalize on Alexandria being named one of National Geographic Magazine’s “Top 100 Adventure Towns” in 2012. The central part of Louisiana offers varied outdoor experiences for any experience range, from amateur to professional. From the miles and miles of trails in Kisatchie National Forest, including the longest hiking trail in Louisiana, and the multiple waterways offering fishing and watersports to the 300 plus acres of ATV riding fun at Louisiana Mudfest and the picturesque views at the area’s seven golf courses, visitors and locals alike have ample opportunities to “get outdoors” and find adventure.
The Central Louisiana Outdoor Adventure Festival is a way to highlight several of the outdoor offerings in the area by grouping events for a complete outdoor experience. Events that will be taking place in March 2014, and taking part in the Outdoor Festival, include:
· Mardi Gras parades
· Mardi Gras Madness 5K
· Archery in Louisiana Schools State Tournament
· Inglewood Farm’s Carnival Market
· Civil War Reenactment and events
· Alexandria Senior High School Softball Tournament
· Second Saturday Market
· Kids in the Kitchen at the Alexandria Zoo
· Taking It 2 The Street
· Night Glow Throw Disc Golf Tournament
· “Letters Home” production
· Louisiana Nursery Festival
· Kisatchie National Forest Day
· T.R.E.E. House Kite Day
· Why Animals Kick Butts at the Alexandria Zoo
· “Spring is in the Air” concert by the Rapides Symphony Orchestra
· Adams Pro-Am Golf Tournament
· Renegade Harley-Davidson Demo Weekend
· Freedom 5K
· Gardening Symposium at Kent Plantation House
· Crossroads Cup Soccer Tournament
· Historic House Fair in Alexandria’s Garden District
· Spring ArtWalk
· Cotile Trade Days
· St. Mary’s 5K
· Zyd-ABAAM: Zydeco concert
· Worship on the River
Many of these events are annual events which have taken place for many, many years, such as Louisiana Nursery Festival and Cotile Trade Days. Some of the events are new and focus on the outdoor adventures, such as Kisatchie National Forest Day.
“The Festival gives us a chance to highlight our great outdoor adventures,” said Sherry Ellington, Executive Director of the Alexandria/Pineville Area Convention & Visitors Bureau. “We know visitors are looking for bigger and better experiences and outdoor recreation is one of the growing areas of interest for travelers. The Festival just helps put Rapides Parish on the map for outdoor adventure travel.”
For more information about the events, please contact the Alexandria/Pineville Area Convention & Visitors Bureau at (318) 442-9546 or check online at www.AlexandriaPinevilleLA.com.