Alexandria Individual CISM 2019- Crisis Intervention is NOT psychotherapy; rather, it is a specialized acute emergency mental health intervention which requires specialized training. As physical first aid is to surgery, crisis intervention is to psychotherapy. Thus, crisis intervention is sometimes called “emotional first aid”. This program is designed to teach participants the fundamentals of, and a specific protocol for, individual crisis intervention.
This course is designed for anyone who desires to increase their knowledge of individual (one-on-one) crisis intervention techniques in the fields of Business & Industry, Crisis Intervention, Disaster Response, Education, Emergency Services, Employee Assistance, Healthcare, Homeland Security, Mental Health, Military, Spiritual Care, and Traumatic Stress.
– The concept of CISM as a comprehensive crisis intervention program.
– The role of the individual crisis intervention in the comprehensive CISM program.
– Terms and concepts relevant to the study of crisis, traumatic stress and crisis intervention.
– Differential utilities of selected crisis communication techniques.
– Demonstration of selected crisis communication techniques.
– Psychological reactions to crisis and trauma.
– SAFER protocol for individual crisis intervention and its role in comprehensive CISM.
– Demonstration of the use of SAFER protocol for individual crisis intervention.
– Review of common problems encountered while working with individuals in crisis.